This is “kick-off-the-week” update. Read on for
(1) Updates from the transit providers regarding holiday service
(2) Clever Commute looks at “what happened LAST Thanksgiving” (so that you can plan THIS Thanksgiving).
More on #1 for the major carriers:
- Metro North’s Thanksgiving Holiday Service for Hudson, Harlem & New Haven Lines, Nov. 23-27
- LIRR Offers Extra Thanksgiving Weekend Service; Off-Peak & Family Fares in Effect
- NJ Transit – As of press time for us, we could only find Thanksgiving Holiday Bus Schedules
(they usually post something about trains…so keep an eye on their web site for that)
We think this info is key to helping you plan. Here is the rundown:
On Wednesday, November 24, things got crowded after 1:00 PM…but 3:00 looked to be the worst of it:
1:05 PM [Penn Station] – LIRR rider shared this: 1:05 running 10 min late. Probably due to overcrowding on short train
3:25 PM [Penn Station] – NJT riders share these
- Train was SRO – hundreds of passengers left on platform
- Packed to to gills; no standing room even
- and finally – stuck at Newark for crew to push passengers aside to open the doors
3:05 PM [Port Authority] – DeCamp bus rider shared these this: long lines for all Decamp gates.
3:12 PM – we received these messages
- SRO with people still at the gate
- 410/411 backed up to 402
…and so it went for most of the afternoon.
This year: Plan ahead…Be patient…
Thank you…and Happy Thanksgiving,