The USTA announced today that pop-vocal sensation The Wanted, chart-topping singer Carly Rae Jepsen, special guest performer Owl City and from Nickelodeon’s How to Rock, Cymphonique Miller and Max Schneider, will team up with reigning US Open Champion Novak Djokovic,…… U.S. #1 men’s singles player John Isner, three-time US Open Champion Kim Clijsters and Mardy Fish at the 17th Annual Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day Presented by Hess Saturday, August 25 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y., from 9:30 a.m. – 4p.m. Hosted by AAKD alumnus Jordin Sparks and TV personality Quddus, the popular full-day tennis and music festival for children and adults alike features interactive games, musical entertainment and tennis activities. Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day Presented by Hess will kick off the 2012 US Open, which runs from August 27 – September 9.
From 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., kids and their families can enjoy an exciting schedule of free tennis games, live music and attractions taking place throughout the grounds of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Inside Arthur Ashe Stadium from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m., the live tennis and music show will feature fun exhibition matches and skills competitions with Novak Djokovic, John Isner, Kim Clijsters, Mardy Fish and other top players and celebrities with musical performances by The Wanted, Carly Rae Jepsen, Owl City, Cymphonique Miller, Max Schneider and other talent to be announced.
Stadium show tickets are on sale now through Ticketmaster (1-866-OPEN-TIX), usopen.org and at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center box office. American Express is the official card of Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day. General admission promenade tickets cost $10 and loge tickets are $20. Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day will be broadcast nationally by CBS on Sunday, August 26, from 12 p.m. – 1:30 p.m (ET). Kids 12-and-under with stadium show tickets will receive a free Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day hat from the USTA and Hess on a first-come, first-served basis.
“We are thrilled to kick off the 2012 US Open with the 17th annual Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day presented by Hess featuring the most popular names in sports and entertainment today,” said Gordon Smith, USTA Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer. “The event holds a long-standing history of providing a day of fun-filled family activities as attendees celebrate the life of Arthur Ashe and his mission to empower children of all ages through tennis.”
Over the years, Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day has featured many of music’s biggest acts including Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Jonas Brothers, Demi Lovato, Sean Kingston, Britney Spears, Ne-Yo, Gavin DeGraw, Jessica Simpson, Backstreet Boys, Cody Simpson, Bow Wow and Hanson.
The Grounds Festival offers a wide range of interactive activities as well as a chance for children of all ages to test their skills, hit with top tennis pros, win prizes and enjoy music:
· Hess Express Stage – The Grounds Festival’s free concert featuring a line-up of up-and-coming musical talent including urban supergroup Love Jones Girlz, Interscope Records prodigy Ahsan, and from Disney Channel’s “Shake It Up!” Caroline Sunshine! More acts to be confirmed.
· 10 & Under Tennis – A chance for kids to learn real tennis and have real fun doing it. 10 & Under Tennis follows almost every other youth sport and uses racquets, balls and courts that are sized right for kids so that they enjoy the game right from the start.
· Hess Express Obstacle Course – Kids test agility, balance, running and tennis skills.
· Hess Target Time – Intermediate and advanced-level kids have a chance to test their skills hitting targets on this court.
· Nike Tennis – Tennis and skill activities on two courts featuring Nike sponsored athletes.
· IBM Speedzone – Two radar guns on court test the speed of kids’ serves.
· Xerox Beat the Pro – Kids will have the chance to challenge the pros on this fast-paced court.
· Mario Tennis Open for Nintendo 3DS – Players of all ages and skill levels can enjoy friendly competition and fast-paced tennis action with Mario Tennis Open, a video game for the Nintendo 3DS hand-held system. Join Mario and Luigi in the South Plaza for some fun photo opps and check out this new attraction.
· USTA Serves/Aetna Tennis Skills — This court will have six to eight various stations for very young kids or special populations. Stations may include things like rolling the ball with a racquet and bouncing a koush ball.
· PTR Speed Tennis – Children can hit with PTR certified professionals on mini-courts at full speed and with complete strokes using a special restricted flight foam ball.
· USPTA Little Tennis – Ideal for younger participants to hit and learn, USPTA certified teaching professionals host this court consisting of 30 colorful hitting stations using a variety of teaching aids.
· USRSA Pro Racquet Round-Up – Kids can see what it feels like to hit with a top pro’s personal racquet such as Venus and Serena Williams using actual racquets weighted and balanced to each player’ s specifications.
· World TeamTennis – Co-ed relay races, targeting beginner players, particularly the youngest children attending AAKD. Activities tailored to the age, size, strength and experience level of participants.
· Also – Watch the Pros Practice, Player Autographs, Juggling Workshop, Face-Painting, Hair Braiding, Storytelling, and more.
Presented by Hess and produced by the USTA, Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day honors tennis legend Arthur Ashe and continues his mission of using tennis as a means to instill in kids the values of humanitarianism, leadership and academic excellence. Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day introduces children of all ages to the great sport of tennis while bringing families together for a fun, interactive experience. A portion of the proceeds from Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day benefits the National Junior Tennis and Learning (NJTL) network. The NJTL was established by Arthur Ashe, Charlie Pasarell and Sheridan Snyder in 1969 with the mission of developing the character of young people through tennis and education. Since then, the NJTL network has grown to include over 600 chapters which serve over 250,000 youth annually. NJTL chapters, which vary in size and scope, can be found in 46 of the top 50 U.S. markets, making NJTL one of the USTA’s largest community-based initiatives. NJTL chapters are supported by the USTA through grants, awards, and various learning opportunities. NJTL participants and chapter leaders have the opportunity to take part in a number of core programs, including the Tennis Leadership Camp, the Arthur Ashe Essay and Art Contest, Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day, the National Student Athlete Competition, NJTL Kids’ Days, a scholarship to the annual USTA Community Tennis Development Workshop, and low-cost insurance.
The USTA recently launched a new interactive, kid-friendly website for Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day. For more information on the event, log on to http://www.arthurashekidsday.com, “like” the officialFacebook page facebook.com/ArthurAsheKidsDay or follow @AAKidsDayon Twitter. In the event of inclement weather, ticket holders can log on to any of the sites listed above for the most up to date information.
The 2011 US Open drew more than 650,000 fans, maintaining its position as the highest attended annual sporting event in the world. More than 80 million viewers watched the 2011 US Open on CBS Sports and ESPN, and international broadcasts reached 180 countries. JPMorgan Chase & Co. is the presenting sponsor of the US Open women’s singles championship. Mercedes-Benz USA is the presenting sponsor of the US Open men’s singles championship.
The 2012 US Open will be held Monday, August 27 through Sunday, September 9. Tickets for the 2012 US Open can be purchased four ways: 1) at USOpen.org; 2) by calling Ticketmaster at 1-866-OPEN-TIX; 3) at all Ticketmaster outlets; or 4) at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center box office. American Express is the Official Card of the US Open.