The house was originally at 75 Manhattan Street address from 1853 to 1865, later it became 513 West 125th Street (between Amsterdam and Broadway).This wood framed house was the home of a New York City Council member, ex-Tammany Hall Leader, ex-Building Commissioner, once of the Harlem Democratic Club Isaac A. Hooper. Mr. Hooper served from 1856 – 70 while he was in residence. His son John Cooper became a Harlem contractor and the Register of the City of New York also lived here.
It was torn down sometime in the first decades of the 20th century.
In addition, to his political work Cooper built the St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church (above) on 125th Street and Morningside Avenue (formerly Ninth Avenue), and is rumored to have built the Carnegie Hall.
Cooper, also had fundraisers at the Harlem Opera House and the Broadway Theatre for the Poor Fund.
- The Harlem Edge On The Waterfront (harlemworldmag.com)
- The Harlem Hall, in Harlem 1873 (harlemworldmag.com)
- Running and Walking in Historic Harlem (harlemworldmag.com)
- Isaac A. Hooper House, Harlem, 1870′s (harlemworldmag.com)
- Theatre Row on 125th Street, Harlem 1890′s (harlemworldmag.com)
- Mount Morris Bank Building, 1883, Harlem (harlemworldmag.com)