It was William Fox’s Audubon Theatre of 1912. It was designed by the one and only Thomas Lamb. Named in honor of the naturalist James Audubon, this 2368 seat theater boasted a mural over the proscenium of George Washington leading the battle of Washington Heights. By the end of World War II the name of the theater and the language of the pictures changed. The San Juan had a Spanish Language film policy until it stopped showing movies some time in the late 1960′s. It was ultimately torn down by Columbia University when they were expanding their medical facility. The facade was saved and restored and used in the new structure.
- Puerto Rico Vacations (orbitz.com)
- The Washington Theatre In Harlem, 1910 (harlemworldmag.com)
- The Harlem Hall, in Harlem 1873 (harlemworldmag.com)