Based in New York and Harlem studio artist Laura Carton created the photographs in ‘Stripped’ by downloading a variety of pornographic images from the Internet, removing the bodies and then digitally reconstructing the backgrounds from the existing evidence.
‘What s particularly alluring about these images is the way they implicate the viewer in the missing action . . . shorn of buffed, blow-dried actors, they lose their practical function and become open-ended. Your imagination does the rest.’ – The New York Times
Looking beyond the camouflage of naked flesh, what remain are the carefully constructed and over-produced fictions of domestic space, suburban melodramas, utopian ideals and fantasies.
These new narratives offer a number of sites from which to question underlying assumptions about sexuality, class, race, desire and commodification. ‘Stripped’ is printed in a first edition of 500 copies.
Laura Carton’s work has been exhibited at Kunstmuseene Bergen, Norway, Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin, the Queens Museum of Art, NY, The Bronx Museum of the Arts, NY and the ICA, Philadelphia.
“Stripped,” a monograph of photographs, was published by Nazraeli Press (2010).
Born in Los Angeles, Carton received a B.A. in French Literature from UC Berkeley, attended the Whitney ISP (2001-2002), and lives in New York.
Get your signed copy by the artist here.
Photographs by Laura Carton.
Nazraeli Press, Portland, 2009. 60 pp., 27 four color illustrations., 12×13″.
Photo credit: 1) http://www.heavyhangers.com. 2) http://www.roughrider.com, 2000 3) http://www.dirtydomains.com, 2002 4) http://www.bootybangers.com, 2004. 5) http://www.youngandtight.com, 2003. 6) http://www.youngandtight.com. 7) http://www.6teen.com, 2004.
- HW Pick: Target Free Sundays! At The Studio Museum in Harlem (harlemworldmag.com)
- HW Pick: ‘Django Unchained’, Film (video) (harlemworldmag.com)
- HW Pick: Performance by Jacolby Satterwhite At The Studio Museum (harlemworldmag.com)
- HW Pick: The Eddie Bauer Harlem Winter Killer (harlemworldmag.com)
- HW Radio Pod: The Danny Tisdale Show with Harlem chef Nichole Adriane and more (harlemworldmag.com)
- HW Pick: Cole Haan Portage Double Zip Top Brief (harlemworldmag.com)
- HW Pick: The Art of Romare Bearden, DVD (harlemworldmag.com)
- HW Pick: Online Farmer’s Market For Harlemites (video) (harlemworldmag.com)
- HW Radio Pod: The Danny Tisdale Show with Rain Pryor and the Harlem RBI Team Rich Berlin and Ken Rosh (harlemworldmag.com)
- HW Pick: Stripped By Laura Carton (harlemworldmag.com)