The is signed photograph by Jacob Lawrence who attended classes at the Harlem Art Workshop, taught by his mentor, the African American artist Charles Alston. Lawrence married Gwendolyn Knight after receiving a job with the Works Progress Administration. In addition to getting paid, he was able to study and work with such notable Harlem Renaissance artists as Alston and Henry Bannarn in the Alston-Bannarn workshop. During the Second World War, he enlisted in the United States Coast Guard, then part of the United States Navy.
The rare signed (in blue marker) photograph by Jacob Lawrence comes with certificate of authenticity is available for $300.50.
- Harlem’s Azealia Banks Collaborating on ‘Ratchet’ Single? (harlemworldmag.com)
- Applebee’s Scores With Harlem Jets Grand Opening Check (harlemworldmag.com)
- HW Pick: Cole Haan Portage Double Zip Top Brief (harlemworldmag.com)
- Faith Ringgold on Becoming an Artist in Harlem (harlemworldmag.com)
- Ornette Coleman’s Harmolodic Studios, Harlem (harlemworldmag.com)
- Harlem’s Tyler Dean Flores Donates His Talent (video) (harlemworldmag.com)
- Jacob Lawrence Rare Signed Photograph (harlemworldmag.com)