Institute of Musical Art, a richly styled Edwardian building from 1910 (pictured above), a sleek 1930′s Art Deco addition (pictured below) by the architects of the Empire State Building Claremont Avenue on Broadway at 122nd Street.
The building was put up for the Institute of Musical Art, which had been established in 1905 with an endowment of $500,000 by James Loeb, a retired partner of the Kuhn, Loeb investment firm. By 1909 the institute had 110 students, and it announced plans to build a new four-story building at the northeast corner of 122nd Street and Claremont Avenue. The dean, Frank Damrosch, was the godson of Franz Liszt and was from a musical family.
The cornerstone of the limestone building was laid in 1910, and the ceremonies began with students singing ”Awake” from Richard Wagner’s ”Meistersinger.” The mansard-roofed building was completed later that year.