Apply To Serve On A Community Board:
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of one of Harlem’s three Community Boards (#9, #10 and #11). Here’s an opportunity to serve our communities. Especially since half of Manhattan’s 600 community board seats are up for appointment on April 1, 2013.
In order to be considered for the April 2013 appointment cycle, please complete the following steps:
- Attend a community board meeting. All Community Board meetings are open to the public. The full Community Board of each district meets once a month. Meetings rotate locations but stick to the same monthly times. Please see your individual Community Board section here and access your Community Board’s calendar for up-to-date information.
- Review the eligibility requirements for community board service.
- Download and complete the our community board application and include a copy of your resume or biography
- Return the application to the Manhattan Borough President’s Office postmarked or hand delivered no later than January 18, 2013.
Please note that all applications received after January 18, 2013 will be kept on file and considered to fill any mid-term vacancies that may arise.
Other Community Involvement
Every year there are many more qualified applicants for community boards than spaces available. However, the Manhattan Borough President’s office can offer many ways to be involved in civic life in addition to community board membership. Perhaps you are interested in an appointment to a community education council or hospital advisory board. You might consider getting involved with one of the Manhattan Borough President task forces. Or maybe you just want to receive updates about the Borough President’s work on specific issues.
For more information, please email my office.
- Harlem’s Community Boards, East to West, Support Harlem Literacy Day, Dec 1st (harlemworldmag.com)