By Walter Rutledge
Parsons Dance returns to The Joyce Theater January 15 to 27 with a program that includes two première works. Artistic Director David Parsons’ newest multimedia work, Dawn to Dusk celebrates the diverse people and landscapes of Southern Florida. The work is set to the music of Grammy-Award winner Andrew Bird and Miami’s legendary Tiempo Libre, integrating choreography with streaming high-definition video footage.
Katarzyna Skarpetowska, last season’s guest choreographer and former Parsons’ dancer, will explore her Polish roots with Black Flowers. Accompanied by the music of Frédéric Chopin, six dancers will guide the audience through a traditional mourning ritual. The program also includes the Mozart-inspired work, Wolfgang; David Parsons’ stroboscopic masterwork, Caught; and In The End, with music by Dave Matthews Band.
The performance schedule is: Tuesday and Wednesday at 7:30pm; Thursday and Friday at 8pm; Saturday January 19 at 2pm and 8pm; Sunday at 1pm and 5pm
Dawn to Dusk, Black Flowers, Wolfgang, Caught, In the End. There will be a family matinée on Saturday, January 26 at 2pm Dawn to Dusk, Wolfgang, Caught, In the End. For tickets call JoyceCharge at 212-242-0800 All other tickets can be purchased online at http://www.joyce.org.
In Photo: 1) Steven Vaughn
Photo Credit: 1) Andrew Propp
- Walter’s World: Weekend Picks Art, Dance and Music (harlemworldmag.com)
- Walter’s World: Weekend Picks- Dance and Celebrating Greatness (harlemworldmag.com)
- Walter’s World: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater (harlemworldmag.com)
- Walter’s World: Dance And More Dance after Sandy (harlemworldmag.com)
- Walter’s World: Parson Dance at the Joyce (harlemworldmag.com)
- Walter’s World: Weekend Picks- Dance, Film and Art (harlemworldmag.com)