“Before long I was known as Bumpy’s girl. It was a good title to possess. It meant I could get in anywhere I wanted to go, I was treated as queen wherever I went, and I was showered with gifts and jewelry on a steady basis. It also meant that I was constantly accosted by other women who were in love with Bumpy and wanted me out of the way. At first I was upset, but then I pretty much learned to ignore them. Like Bumpy said, they wouldn’t even be stepping to me if they didn’t realize that I was the one real woman in his life. And hell if I was going to let them back me away from a man who treated me as good as Bumpy treated me.
Bumpy and I met in April 1948. In October that year we were driving past 116th and St. Nicholas Avenue in his Cadillac when he suddenly turned to me and said, “Mayme, I think you and I should go ahead and get married.” I was stunned, but I kept my composure. I said simply, “Is that right?” He said, “Yes, that’s right,” and kept on driving. We were married in a civil ceremony just two weeks later.”
Mrs. Johnson was notified two days before her death that a film production company was negotiating to purchase a book option for Harlem Godfather.
Mrs. Johnson is survived by a granddaughter Margaret Johnson of New York City; a grandson Anthony Johnson of London, England; a sister Lily Andrews of North Carolina; a brother Melvin Hatcher of North Carolina; and two goddaughters Karen E. Quinones Miller and Camille R. Quinones Miller of Philadelphia. A daughter, Ruthie Johnson and stepdaughter, Elease Johnson both died in 2006.
Mayme Hatcher Johnson died in Philadelphia on Friday, May 1, 2009 of respiratory failure.
- New York Personal Injury Lawyer David Perecman Questions Elevator Accident That Left 84-Year Old Harlem Man Critical (prweb.com)
- McDonald’s Testing Deep-Fried Chicken Wings in Harlem? (harlemworldmag.com)
- NYC Mayor’s Cup Wrestling Championships in Harlem (harlemworldmag.com)
- Welcome to Harlem, A Movie Musical Comedy (harlemworldmag.com)
- Harlem’s Tyler Dean Flores Donates His Talent (video) (harlemworldmag.com)