I read a study somewhere that says humans use 15% of our their brain (and some even less). Here are six reasons why I think having a Powerful Mental Attitude is important to be happy and truly free in Harlem or Hollywood.
1. Worry Less. To banish worries, put stressors on paper. Writing them down and stashing the note in a “worry jar” (or a drawer) makes it easier to compartmentalize and move on, says Andrea Bonior, Ph.D., a psychologist in Washington, D.C. Limiting anxiety is healthy. A surfeit of the stress hormone cortisol may lead to chronic pain, depression, cognitive issues and even heart problems, potentially shortening your life. Not to mention that constant worry is no fun.
2. Keep Your Sunny Side Up. Optimists live longer, plain and simple. In a 15-year study of more than 100,000 women, cheery types were 14 percent less likely to die in an eight-year period than gloomy gals were, the National Institutes of Health Women’s Health Initiative finds. To change your thinking, visualize a happy moment: “Imagining yourself in a hammock on the beach can have an immediate, relaxing effect on the body that makes it more difficult to stay focused on the negative,” Bonior says.
3. If All Else Fails Take A Nap. When life starts getting you down, catch 40 winks. If you’re stressed out, a 45-minute daytime snooze may lower your blood pressure, a study from Allegheny College reports. Siestas also help you catch up on much-needed sleep. That’s crucial, because chronic sleep deprivation can cause aging at the cellular level. So give yourself permission to nap like a kid. We predict you’ll start feeling like one, too.
4. Your Relaxation RX. Which mind/body treatments have the most rock-solid science backing them up? Brent Bauer, M.D., director of the Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, provides the big picture.
- For: Back pain Try: Yoga
- For: High cholesterol Try: Qigong
- For: Depression Try: Music therapy, qigong, yoga
- For: Eating disorders Try: Meditation, yoga
- For: Fertility Try: Visualization, yoga
- For: Heart health Try: Deep breathing, qigong, yoga
- For: Immunity Try: Breathing, chants, meditation, qigong
- For: Insomnia Try: Acupuncture, visualization, yoga
- For: Joint pain Try: Music therapy, qigong, yoga
- For: Migraines Try: Acupuncture, yoga
5. The Science. The latest cutting-edge research proves your mind can heal your body. Here’s how: Your body dials down stress. Dr. Benson’s research has found that mind/body practices—meditation, yoga, tai chi, deep breathing, visualization—all elicit the relaxation response, quelling the release of stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline. Your heart slows, blood pressure falls and digestion eases.
6. Your immunity soars. The relaxation response causes cells to release micropuffs of nitric oxide, a gas that dilates blood vessels and stabilizes the immune system, Dr. Benson reported in Medical Science Monitor. Mind/body methods worked as well as drugs designed to do the same thing, without the side effects.
What do you do to be a happier person?
- Yoga Therapy (casapalmera.com)
- Thai Yoga Massage Course Offered by the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat in the Bahamas (prweb.com)