The first Gristede was founded by brothers Diedrich (Dick) and Charles Gristede in 1888 with a horse-drawn delivery wagons. At one time Gristede had stores throughout New York City, as well as in Westchester County and Connecticut.
There were two locations in Harlem, one at 2668 8th Avenue on the South East corner of 142nd Street. The following photographs of the second location of the Gristede Brothers Grocer general store at 1885 Park Avenue at 128th Street of building around in East Harlem 1921.
The store is pictured with automobile delivery trucks and their drivers lined up in front of the store to make deliveries to customers in and out of East Harlem.
The store is pictured here with a group of the thirty or so employees in front of the store in East Harlem.
Wurts Bros., New York, NY, 128th Street and Park Avenue, Gristede Brothers, ca 1921 via the digital collection at the Museum of the City of New York