Ten Tips To Keep New Yorkers Energy Smart — With temperatures expected to be above 90 degrees starting tomorrow and through the week, Con Edison wants to remind customers to use energy wisely, while saving money. New Yorkers can stay cool all summer by following these ten money-saving conservation tips:
- Set your AC to the highest comfortable temperature. Every degree you lower the thermostat drives up your bill by 6 percent.
- To reduce heat and moisture in your home, run appliances such as ovens, washing machines, dryers and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when it’s cooler outside.
- Cook with a microwave or barbecue outside, if possible.
- When the AC is running, close doors to keep cool air in and hot air out. Shop owners are reminded not to keep front doors open while running air conditioning inside. This is a waste of energy, and puts a strain on the grid.
- Keep shades, blinds and curtains closed. About 40 percent of unwanted heat comes through windows.
- Even when using AC, use ceiling and other fans to provide additional cooling and better circulation.
- Turn off AC units, lights and other appliances when not at home and use a timer or smart technology to turn on your air conditioner about a half-hour before arriving home.
- Keep AC filters clean.
- Replace old appliances with new energy efficient Energy Star appliances.
- Con Edison offers a variety of energy-efficiency programs for this summer. The coolNYC program connects customers with smart technology to control their room air conditioners from their computer or mobile device. Customers whose air conditioners are not Wi-Fi-enabled can buy a smart AC kit or borrow one for free and keep it if they participate in at least three heat events. Customers with Wi-Fi-connected Friedrich Kühl or Frigidaire Cool-Connect units can enroll these ENERGY STAR ACs and earn up to $125 in rewards. Learn more by visiting: www.coolnycprogram.com
Replacing an old air conditioner with a new ENERGY STAR unit can reduce energy usage by 15 percent. Con Edison will pay a $20 rebate to customers who buy a new ENERGY STAR air conditioner.
You are an important ally in our mission to deliver clear, objective, high-quality professional news reporting for Harlem, our contributors and the rest of Harlem, New York. Join the Harlem World Club today to help keep Harlem World swinging.
We offer four membership levels: $5 a month, $10 a month, $25 a month or $1 a week. Payments can be made through PayPal below, or click here for information on recurring credit-card payments.
Thank you for your support.
If you have any questions do no hesitate to contact us at email@example.com, 646.216.8698.