In “El Barrio,” the building was built in 1914 as it’s listed in the 1926 Film Daily Year Book the Eagle Theatre, with 600 seats at 1852 Third Avenue in Spanish Harlem, NY.
But in the 1927 FDYB, the name changes to New Eagle Theatre and the seating capacity to 1,800, suggesting that the original Eagle Theatre was demolished to make way for a much larger one. The “New” was eventually dropped from the Eagle’s name, and later editions of the FDYB also show a reduced seating capacity of 1,294.
The Eagle Theatre was closed in the early-1980’s.
A NYC Property Search of the address months ago showed a “miscellaneous store building” with a market value of $698,000.
- Charles Manuel “Sweet Daddy” Grace, Harlem NY 1881 – 1960 (harlemworldmag.com)
- Central Park Spring By James Reuel Smith, 109th Street, Harlem, NY, March 18, 1901 – Harlem World Magazine (harlemworldmag.com)
- Lenox Avenue And 126th Street Harlem NY 1901 (harlemworldmag.com)
- Props: The Gucci Platform Sandals (harlemworldmag.com)