Teen Battle Chef Live is the culmination of an intensive program aimed at preventing obesity and diabetes. Students from Democracy Prep, a Harlem charter school, and The Harlem Dream Center, an afterschool program, will show off the techniques they learned that are needed to prepare delicious and nutritious food through healthy cooking. Two teams of students will complete a designated recipe that reflects the healthy, multi-ethnic meals and sophisticated culinary techniques they learned during the program.
New York City First Lady Chirlane McCray will deliver opening remarks, with Chef Alexander Smalls, Food Network personality Ellie Krieger and Izabela Wojcik, Director of House Programming of the James Beard Foundation serving as judges.
The event is sponsored by EmblemHealth and the Metro-Manhattan Chapter of the Links, Inc. The event is open to the public and free to attend.
- Chirlane McCray, the First Lady of the City of New York
- Alexander Smalls, Minton’s Playhouse; Chef, The Cecil restaurant,
- Ellie Krieger, host of Food Network’s “Healthy Appetite”
- Izabela Wojcik, Director of House Programming, the James Beard Foundation,
- Chuck Nice, Comedian, Master of Ceremonies Teen Battle Chef Contestants
Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Langston Hughes Auditorium, 515 Malcolm X Boulevard, New York, NY (NW corner of West 135th Street and Malcolm X Boulevard).
For more information, visit www.emblemhealth.com.