Founded in 2013, Harlem World Cares, is a community-run youth publishing organization. Our mission is to support and develop Harlem’s students between the ages of 13-17. Harlem World Cares, aims to empower youth with transferable technical skills through the following programs.
Harlem World Cares’ main program is Harlem Youth Publishing Empowerment (H. Y. P. E.), was inspired by Danny Tisdale’s early work at the Children’s Harlem Zone (HCZ). HYPE teaches Harlem youth digital publishing industry skills (Photography & Video, Graphic Design, Production, Writing and Advertising). Created in partnership by Danny Tisdale and research Assistant/Project Manager-Nneka R. Ibekwe at Institute for Urban and Minority Education (IUME) at Teachers College at Columbia University. Harlem World Cares is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and your gift may be tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
- Publishing: We have taught publishing skills to Harlem youth at IUME at Teachers College at Columbia University and The I Have a Dream Foundation, and Graham Windham Beacon Center school‘s Graham Windham HYPE to name afew.
- Education: All students (almost 10,000+) in all our projects have gone through an interview and counseling process with our lead partner at Teachers College at Columbia University in Harlem, NY.
- Arts: We use art to encourage youth to think outside the box and problem solve using art in projects like the Harlem AIDS Blanket, Danny Tisdale An Artists For A Change, the NCAA 2016 Youth for Change Final Four project, including Beyond the Bricks, Brooklyn College, and BCAL Spot.
- Youth 13-17 years of age have an unemployment rate of 35%-45%
- Teenagers are “stopped and frisked” by the NYPD more than 30-40 times a month
- 35% of youth are homeless
- 70% of gun violence involve people of color
- Girls are 4 times more likely to be affected by the AIDs virus than boys
- IUME at Teachers College at Columbia University
- Brooklyn College (BCAL Spot)
- GQ Magazine
- Harlem World Magazine
- Project STAY
- NCAA Final Four
- The Danny Tisdale for Change Projects
- Danny Tisdale, Chair-person
- Eartha Watts-Hicks, Co-Chair and Board member
- Lawrence King, NYColumbia Business Consulting
- Alfie Wade, Consultant-At-Large
- Ed Davila, Consultant
- Rudy Collins, Photographer
- Udo Salters, Celebrity Photographer
Harlem World Cares, Do You?
Call 646.216.8698 or contact us here