People magazine reported the couple joined other volunteers at a food bank in New York, NY on Saturday to prepare over 1,000 holiday meals for people living in high-need communities.
“We only live a few blocks from here and the idea that we have so much and there’s 1 out of 5 people in New York using food bank services is kind of staggering,” Bacon told People.
Bacon, who was joined by chefs David Burke, Sunny Anderson and Mario Batali, said being involved in food banks, is a cause his family holds close to their hearts.
The “Footloose” actor said he knows many Americans will be faced with new challenges after congress decided to cut $39 billion from the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) budget over 10 years. The program currently serving more than 23 million households, 48 million people, has translated to a loss of about 21 meals per month for a family of four.
“I remember coming here last year and things were rough and they were really struggling to feed the amount of people that were coming in,” Sedgwick said. “I can only imagine this year, it must be a devastating loss.”
Before strapping on their chef’s hats and aprons the couple shared their holiday plans, which includes hosting Thanksgiving dinner, an event Sedgwick called an annual tradition.
“We have a great Bacon family Thanksgiving, we’ve been doing it forever,” Sedgwick told People. “I heard that you don’t start enjoying Brussels sprouts until you’re an adult and let me say that’s one of the good things about getting older.”
The “Loverboy” actress said she will probability be staying out of the kitchen this year, after slicing off the tip of her finger earlier this year, while chopping kale.
“I’m more of a cheerleader because everyone comes to our house to cook,” Sedgwick said.
The cooking will reportedly be left to the couple’s daughter Sosie, who was recently named Miss Golden Globe, and Bacon’s sisters.
“It makes us realize how thankful we are and that point gets driven home even stronger on a day like Thanksgiving,” Bacon said.