Mount Morris Baptist Church, Harlem, NY 1854-1888

MtMorrisBapt1882Ext

Sepia photographs of the Mount Morris Baptist Church organized about 1854. Around that time, the society built a small chapel on Fifth Avenue at 126th Street, the previous site of the First Baptist Church of Harlem.

MtMorrisBapt1882Int

Interior (1882) showing organ at left

The J.H. & C.S. Odell opus list shows that an organ was built originally in 1872 for Mount Morris Baptist Church but the number and date are not given. An 1882 photo (above) of the church shows an organ at the front left. Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.

The second edifice was designed by Henry F. Kilburn and built in 1887-88 (via source).

Related Post

About Harlem World Magazine

HARLEMWORLDMAG.COM the #1 company in the world for all things Harlem since 2003.

Comments are closed.