The good folks at Farm School NYC is looking to fill several teaching positions For a complete job description and a teacher application, visit the Farm School NYC website.
Propagation course (co-teaching position)
This course covers the basic aspects of plant propagation and best practices for raising healthy seedlings from seed to transplant, including: Plant reproduction, the use and management of propagation tools such as greenhouses and hoop houses (managing microclimates, pests and diseases, and record keeping), creating and using propagation media such as soil mixes and common containers, and proper watering techniques for different types of seedlings and stages of growth.
Carpentry course (teaching or co-teaching position)
Learn carpentry basics: reading and drawing building designs relevant to urban agriculture (raised beds, compost bins, chicken coops, cold frames, greenhouses and hoop houses, rainwater harvest systems). Outdoor building classes will cover tool safety and maintenance as well as provide hands-on building experience.
Farm School NYC is committed to diversity and inclusion among our student body and our faculty. Our goal is that our faculty team represents the community that Farm School NYC serves. In particular, people of color, men, and older adults are encouraged to apply.
Experience and Qualifications for Farm School NYC teachers
- Passion for food justice and building local, sustainable food systems
- At least three years teaching experience
- Extensive demonstrated experience teaching and/or working with the relevant course material
- Experience with and commitment to popular education and participatory teaching techniques. Farm School NYC teachers value hands-on, experiential learning and recognize that students have different learning styles
- Ability to work with an adult audience with a range of experience and education levels: Students will be aged 18 and up
- Capable of preparing independently for class including lesson planning and scheduling
- Ability to meet class schedule requirements (please refer to application for dates and times)
- Ability to use plain language in written materials: Plain language is simple, straightforward language, that people of all learning levels can understand
- Will work with Farm School NYC staff and outdoor classroom contacts to plan and schedule outdoor classroom visits
- Will contribute to evaluation, which is a critical part of future planning.
Propagation and Carpentry not your specialty? Stay tuned for more postings – they’ll be hiring for other teaching positions in the future.