Hubert Harrison Urges Self-Defense In Harlem, July 4, 1917

hubert harrison in harlemBy Jeffrey B. Perry

On July 4, 1917, The Voice: A Newspaper for the New Negro—the first newspaper of the “New Negro Movement,” edited by Hubert H. Harrison—made its debut at a rally at the Metropolitan Baptist Church at 120 W. 138th Street (we have the address at 151 W 128th Street), between Lenox and Seventh Avenues in Harlem.

Continue Reading →