“The Negro Silent Protest Parade” Formed By Harlem’s St. Philip’s Church, 1917

The march was organized by W. E. B. Du Bois, the NAACP, second vice president of the NAACP, Harlem‘s James Weldon Johnson, and Rev. Hutchens Chew Bishop, rector of St. Philip’s Episcopal Church and realtor John E. Nail in Harlem, on July 28, 1917.

Continue Reading →

Supreme Court Justice Honors Thurgood Marshall In Harlem

Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer made an appeal for the importance of courts and the rule of law at an event honoring the late Thurgood Marshall. Continue Reading →

Lafargue Mental Hygiene Clinic In Harlem N Y 1946-1959

harlem lefargque centerOn March 8, 1 946, the Lafargue Mental Hygiene Clinic at the St. Philip’s Church in the basement, at 134th Street and Seventh Avenue, a small outpatient facility run by volunteers, opened in Central Harlem.

Continue Reading →