In 1903, the Washburn Wire Company of New York occupied 117th to 118th streets on the East River — just one block from where the Harlem Beach baths were. The factory, which comprised six buildings, made wire products like springs, piano strings and fence wire. In 1917, the factory was working on a large order from the U.S. government when a disastrous fire broke out in three places. The manager, Daniel C. Turner, told police he suspected that one or more of the 25 German or 200 Austrian workers started the blazes. Two of the buildings survived the fire, and the factory reportedly stayed in business until 1976 (source).
This is an ad space