Guidelines For Submitting A Story To HarlemWorldMag
HarlemWorldMag carries many stories from readers, and we welcome submissions. But first, help make your story relevant and ready to post by following these guidelines, then click the button below.
1. Plain old links with no content don’t make the cut. Stories that offer 3-5 paragraphs of your own descriptions and/or your own essay, and excerpts of news stories with relevant links do.
2. Review the Editorial Calendar (below). Use the Editorial Calendar for themes, topics we’ll cover each month throughout the year:
3. Make sure the content you submit does not violate copyrights. Cutting and pasting of entire news stories won’t fly here unless they are press releases and/or government/public domain. Otherwise just post a couple of relevant excerpts/paragraphs (allowed under fair use laws) along with your introduction and link to the story.
4. For short stories of 3-5 paragraphs, with/without a link, use the submission form button below. Those that wish to write guest posts can compose them and submit here using the submission form. For image insertion into posts, we suggest the free http://www.tinypic.com or http://www.pixlr.com if you do not know how to embed images and links in HTML, simply paste in the image URL into the body of the text and we will insert it for you if the story is submitted. They can be short news blurb summaries of 3-5 paragraphs, or they can be full-fledged posts with embedded data, links, videos, and images. You can submit HTML into the form if you wish, and we will format it later.
5. For technical documents and complex stories, send them to us via e-mail as an attachment or provide a link. Send a .doc or .docx file with embedded graphics in the document to the e-mail below.
You can also send a link to an MS-Word on a server or Dropbox. Or attach it to email (press the button below for the email link).
NOTE: You should use plain MS-Word formatting, don’t put in headers/footers or other page formatting we’ll have to remove. Adobe PDF’s don’t translate well to blog posts due to formatting issues, so please don’t send those unless you have no other choice.
6. Images in technical documents should be 24 bit JPEG or PNG. 8 bit GIFS and 8 bit PNG’s get all crunchy when they are scaled. If you must use GIF format, still and animated GIFS should be no wider than 600 pixels or they will have to be scaled.
7. Videos, tweets, audio, and other content submission should send the embed code. To use different media to help tell your story send the embed code to do so, we do not do any uploads on the site. Find out more HERE.
8. All submissions are reviewed within 48 hours. Generally 10% or less are accepted, so do your best! We give credit to the story submitter, and bonus points are given for people who post under their full names. Stories submitted may or may not be published at the discretion of the editorial staff. Those that are published may be edited for size, fact checking, accuracy, content etc., and become the property of HarlemWorldMag.
9. Please review the front page of HarlemWorldMag to see if we have covered it already (scroll down all the way). About half of the recent submissions are stories we’ve already covered in the last couple of days.
10. Stories submitted that are commercial or off topic in nature are simply deleted. Don’t send SPAM.
11. Certain topics are not welcome here and stories submitted concerning them will be deleted. This includes topics on discussions on aliens, bigfoot, Illuminati, UFO’s, etc.,.
12. Original essays may not be submitted under a pseudonym or made up name. Doing so is reason for an automatic rejection. For things that you want to submit as a HarlemWorldMag reader with a “handle”, or draw attention to, use the HarlemWorldMag “Tips” section on the menu bar under the header.
13. Always use the 5 W’s (who, what, where, when and why). When writing your story always answer the 5 W’s when you are writing your article:
- Who is the story about?
- What is the story about?
- Where did the event take place?
- When did the event take place?
- Why did the event take place?
These questions are starting pints use your own imagination and surprise us.
Use the form below:
Use the form below to compose your story if it a few paragraphs long. If you wish to send a technical document or manuscript, see email address below the form where you can send MS-Word manuscripts of technical submissions as attachments.
Note: that if you simply put full URL’s into the story body like “http://www.fullurl.com,” they will automatically be turned into active links when we get the submitted story.
If you have any question contact us at email@example.com
Last Updated June 2016.