The Harlem’s Luxurious Claremont Restaurant And Inn At Riverside Drive NY 1895

A great image the moment a Havemeyer Coach carriages riding north from the multi-story Claremont Restaurant and Inn at Riverside Drive (at 123rd Street, a block north of Grant’s Tomb) in Harlem, NY on May 25, 1895.

The text at the bottom of the photograph reads:

Riverside Drive And Claremont Restaurant.

The Claremont Restaurant and Inn was the countryside retreat that faced the Hudson that was a popular destination for weekend getaway where the royalty of any country stayed. Originally built around 1775, the Inn catered to the glitterati of the world including Lord Viscount Courtenay, Prince William, Joseph Bonaparte (Napoleon’s brother), Duke of Clarence (later King William IV), President McKinley, Lillian Russell, Cole Porter, Admiral Dewey, President Taft, lots of  Vanderbilts and Astors and many more stayed at the royal Claremont Restaurant and Inn.

In the background is the grand entrance of the Claremont Restaurant and Inn (with Grant’s Tomb looking south behind the center tree).

Get more Harlem History HERE

Photo credit: the photo has been modified to enlarge the image from the source.

Related Post

About Harlem World Magazine

HARLEMWORLDMAG.COM the #1 company in the world for all things Harlem since 2003.